Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wordsworth Enlarges My Soul

"Once again
Do I behold these steep and lofty cliffs,
That on a wild secluded scene impress
Thoughts of more deep seclusion; and connect
The landscape with the quiet of the sky.
The day is come when I again repose
Under this dark sycamore, and view
These plots of cottage-ground, these orchard-tufts,
Which at this season, with their unripe fruits,
Are clad in one green hue, and lose themselves
'Mid groves and copses."
-William Wordsworth, "Tintern Abbey"

We read "Tintern Abbey" in class today, and I really, really, genuinely love it. I want to go to Tintern Abbey someday. The poem made me want to skip the rest of my classes this afternoon and go find somewhere that I could be completely alone with nature. It makes me glad for the connection that I have with nature, and for the fact that I live in an environment where nature isn't very far away. I have nothing against cities (I mean, I want to live in St. Louis at some point!), but it is a wonderful thing to look out my dorm window and see green.

I can honestly say that I am in love with nature at this point. I can also honestly say that this class is changing the way that I look at the world. Nature is all around us, but it is too easy to forget how lucky we are for that. It may only be Chadron, Nebraska, and not Tintern Abbey, but it is still beautiful!
This is how I feel right now:

My heart wants to beat like the wings of the birds
That rise from the lake to the trees
To laugh like the brook when it trips
And falls over stones on its way
To sing through the night
Like a lark that is learning to pray!
(The Sound of Music, title song)

Go outside today. Just go outside, look around, and that God for what He's given us. Remember, like Pocahontas sings in the Disney film, "We are all connected to each other in a circle, in a hoop that never ends." Have a fantastic day. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment