Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Reality vs. Virtual Reality

Postmodernism is the world we live in today. Since we are, in fact, living it, it can be difficult to define what postmodernism is. This strikes me as feeting, considering that we discussed today that our world is all about blurring the lines between what is real and what is not. Question: if we consider something to be real, does that make it real? For example, if I go to see the projection Bill Gates has of the Mona Lisa, which looks just like the original, is that just as good as seeing the original Da Vinci? I don't think so. I think that we are losing appreciation for the beauty of the creation and vision that had to go into the original. Yes, we can mass produce things, but something is lost, in my opinion at least.

Our world is quickly becoming a virtual one. We play virtual sports on the Wii, we talk to images of people on Skype and train for important jobs in extremely realistic simulators. Today I learned about Hatsune Miku- a huge singing sensation in Japan. She has a number one album on the charts and sells out shows. She has overseas concerts. She's also fake. She's a 3D projection. Search for "World Is Mine Live in HD" on YouTube and watch the crowd react. It's rather ridiculous.

Already, we've lost a lot of things by making ourselves slaves to computers and their virtual worlds. I sat down to write letters the other day, by hand, for some of my friends, and was amazed at how long it had been since I'd done it. Sure, it took longer than it would have for me to write on their wall on Facebook, but I felt like it forced me to think more about the actual person I would give it to, instead of a computer profile. We expect things so fast, we're forgetting that patience is an important virtue.

No comments:

Post a Comment